Friday, August 24, 2012

super linens + the next chapter


salt + cloth the blog and the Pinterest page have been just the tip of the iceberg. salt + cloth will soon be launching a line of linens: napkins, placemats and table runners, and I want you to come along for the ride. salt + cloth (blog and Pinterest page) focus on the importance of the table, those around it and what's on it, but I want to take this a step further and produce a line of linens which promotes a positive sustainable lifestyle. So what does that mean exactly? Well, these days it means a lot of things, but I'll let you in on my definition.

A sustainable lifestyle is an examined conscientious way of living that takes into consideration the impact on the environment, human and animal life and strives to better the local and global community.

It's broad, right? There are holes in this definition, right? Yes, but the focus is on progress not perfection, and the definition for perfection is different for each individual as well. salt + cloth linens is being conceived to be as examined and conscientious as possible from the research phase to the product landing on your table. I am still in the research phase, so I'm counting on you, my readers, to chime in with your opinions to help shape the process and final product. So how is salt + cloth linens looking at a positive sustainable lifestyle? Here's how I plan to proceed:

1. Materials: locally grown, processed and manufactured organic cotton and the resulting fabric (Southern United States). I am currently looking at several fabric samples to decide on quality, style and durability, and I'll be looking for your weigh in on future posts. The thread I plan to use is organically grown cotton, but manufactured in Holland using traditional dyeing methods. I haven't had any luck finding a local more naturally dyed source. Let me know if you know a source!

2. Dye products: There are myriad options out there from the most toxic chemicals to fruits and vegetables. I will be experimenting with the most natural options: fruits, vegetables, nuts, herbs, etc. My objective is to develop colorfast naturally gorgeous dyes from sources obtained as locally to me (Chicago, IL) as possible. No animal products or by-products ever.

3. Dye process: It's easy to forget about the actual process of dyeing, but the process has environmental implications as well. Namely, water and gas or other heat source consumption. In the early stages, the processing won't be a serious resource drain, but I do plan to use the processing water in my herb and flower garden. In the future, I'll be looking into solar heating options.

4. Waste reduction during the manufacturing process: I will be using every square inch of the fabric I source, whether it's for the product itself or using smaller scraps as labels or packaging material.

5. Manufacturing labor: At first, I will be doing all of the processing/sewing myself, but my future plans call for a skilled group of employees who are interested in fair pay, a safe work environment and a good work/life balance.

6. Product qualities: The final product is something I will be proud to have grace your table. A reusable, durable, washable product which is subtly gorgeous in any setting from the breakfast table to your next dinner party. I want these linens to be your absolute favorites.

7. Packaging/Shipping: This may be the toughest challenge to tackle, and I am wide open to input. I am a huge packaging junkie. I love a beautifully packaged and presented product because it feels personal and special. I don't want to sacrifice that feeling for the customer of receiving a gift...so I'm working on this one. As I mentioned above, I plan to use small scraps of fabric for various uses and the packaging may be part of that. Luckily, the salt + cloth linens are an unbreakable product which reduces the amount of padding needed to ship, but it still commands strategy as new, possibly breakable, product lines will be added in the future. And the biggest issue is the shipping itself across possibly thousands of miles-purchasing carbon offsets maybe? Again, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

8. Giving back: You see a lot of companies these days making giving back a part of their business plan. This is awesome, plain and simple. I don't care if it's a marketing ploy or a way to justify raising prices (ideally it's a predominately altruistic decision), it brings consumer's attention to something other than themselves and their needs. We all need to step outside ourselves and contribute to the communities around us in a way and for a cause that is meaningful to us. That's different for everyone, but for myself and salt + cloth, the focus is on healthy environments and people, humane animal treatment for working, companion and food animals (please be advised that all salt + cloth linens will be vegan/animal friendly), support for children in need through adoption and other child advocacy programs and equal rights for all people. So how will these values be woven into salt + cloth? Other than my personal contributions in these areas and the salt + cloth products themselves, it's good question, and one that I'm still working on. Again, open to feedback here on how to integrate those values in an authentic and meaningful way.

9. Price: So you're probably thinking, yes, this is all great but how expensive will these items be?  Truth is, I'm not sure at this point, but I know I don't want to create a product with this much thought and care and then not be able to distribute it to anyone because it's cost prohibitive.  So let's talk about this-what would you pay for a napkin, any napkin?  $5 each, $10 each, $30 each.  Forget about all the great values that come with this product for a moment and just think about what's reasonable for an item you will use regularly.  I tend to accept higher price tags for things I use more often.  For instance, I'll pay quite a bit for a t-shirt or a pair of jeans, but will hit the breaks on an inexpensive, yet lovely, dress.  We all purchase differently, so tell me about your habits.

10. Product use: A product is meaningless if it doesn't get used. I want salt + cloth linens to be what you set your table with at breakfast, what you wipe your four year old's jelly covered face with and what you give to your niece for her wedding. I want these linens to make every meal and snack and party special. I want to support or kick start your sustainable lifestyle with salt + cloth linens.

So welcome to the salt + cloth journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment