Sunday, September 16, 2012

sample square dance.


The fabric samples for the salt + cloth linen line have been trickling in over the past couple of weeks, so it's time to make a few decisions based on my extremely limited knowledge of textiles and heavy google searching. What I've come up with is this:

1) Cotton wrinkles the most of any fabric (great-I'm buying it anyway)

2) Cotton sateen wrinkles the most of any cotton (I purchased yardage regardless because it's soft and I love a good challenge)

3) Twill cotton has the least amount of wrinkling (oh, it's out of stock? Wonderful.)

4) Organic cotton is not cheap

I am ordering a yard each of five different fabrics, some for napkins, some for placemats and runners. This will give me a chance to play with each fabric-trying out different natural dyes, washing and drying the sample fabric, seeing how durable it is, etc. My objectives are easy maintenance, softness, beautiful natural colors and to be super environmentally friendly. Yes, "super" environmentally friendly-there's got to be a third party certifier with that name, right? See my previous post to see what I mean by "super" environmentally friendly.

So it's not an exact science yet, but it will be closer to that in a few months. And you get to come along for the ride. Enjoy the wind in your hair.

1 comment: